Scadron Outdoor Advertising, formally the Arrow Sign Co. of Chicago, was originally founded in 1892 by David Scadron. At that time, we were in the commercial sign painting business.
In 1926, David’s oldest son, Louis entered the business. Through his guidance, Arrow became a major commercial sign company in the Chicago area.
Then in 1963, Louis’s son, Robert, the third generation started working for Arrow after his graduation from the University of Illinois. Arrow expanded its markets throughout the county, including developing several outdoor advertising locations, and became one of the largest custom sign companies in the United States.
In 1984, we sold off the commercial “On Premise” sign and maintenance division of our firm so that we could concentrate solely on expanding the outdoor advertising segment of our business.
We elected to utilize our name and evolved into Scadron Outdoor Advertising.
In 1988 and 1991, Robert’s sons, Jeffrey and Barry, became the fourth generation to enter the business.
We were aware that there was tremendous opportunity in Chicago’s Entertainment Districts and emphasized on developing major, spectacular wallscapes as well as traditional billboards in these areas.
Within a few years, the Scadron name dominated the River North and Downtown areas in Chicago with 2,000 to 5,000 square feet dynamic illuminated spectaculars.
We also created locations in the Wrigley Field district, as well as major expressways.
In addition, we developed many billboards in Lake and McHenry Counties.
In 1997, and then again in 2004, Scadron sold most of it’s locations to two national outdoor advertising firms.
We have retained six of our major locations and continue to operate them as well as various real estate ventures.
Scadron still offers its expertise in developing new advertising opportunities to the Chicago Metropolitan area.